Thursday, September 29, 2005

M.I.A. and Interpol

I could talk about books I've read and films I've seen, but why would I do that when I could talk about concerts? YES!

Tuesday was M.I.A. at St Andrews where I haven't been in a long long time. When we first get there its about 1/3 full but then it gets packed. The opening act was an MC who strongly made me think of Steve Urkel. He looked so young and had the coolest toyota yellow and orange jacket, MC Spank Rizzo or something. After the whole show me and my friends talked to him for a bit, he's saying he was from Baltimore and was so nervous to be up on stage coz he's new to it and everything. Really cool bloke, I really liked his stuff.

Well we didn't have to wait tooo long for MIA. She comes on rapping something I'm not familiar with, then goes into Pull Up the People. The whole show was great, though she didn't do Hombre - my guess is the DJ simply forgot to spin it, coz she did all the other Arular tracks. In the encore she did the great Piracy stuff, track 12 which is my favourite. She did URAQT but the Diplo version, but it was still wicked. I saw her back in May and I've read negative reviews of her live, but I think she does a good job. Since she was the headliner this time around she talked to the crowd quite a bit, but wot did she say, I dunno coz everyone kept screaming.

Afterwards I gave her massive bodyguard my CD (its got 2 tracks, one's a mix of URAQT) and he gave it to the guy in the pink tshirt who was one of her people. We waited outside, she came and shook hands, then did autographs. We talked to her. I could give you all the details because the whole encounter was so amazing but I will restrain myself. I told her that I gave my CD to the guy and stuff, and she asked bout my accent. M.I.A. has got to be the nicest person to her fans.

Sunday was Interpol. 3rd row center. They opened up with the opening of the 2nd album, which I really don't like, but I knew they would do that anyway. They were wicked, their sound was so powerful and captivating, the vocals being blended in as an instrument. I love that Danny the guitarist was doing crazy legs a lot. It was in the Michigan Theatre, which is a movie palace built in the 1920's, so people clapped after songs, which I found to be a bit funny. Thank God people were standing though. I was afraid people would actually use their seats.

No comments:

Post a Comment