Saturday, May 30, 2009

where are the Muslims?

Earlier today I was at the NYC Grassroots Media Conference. I was only able to attend one workshop and had to table the rest of the time, but I enjoyed myself and met all sorts of interesting people. Over the last couple years or so I've gained a strong perspective that independent media is vital and crucial, and that more people from marginalized communities need to make such media. Going to this conference gave me more insight and knowledge into what other people are doing in the broader alternative independent media movement, especially with what's going on in NYC.

When I go to these kinds of progressive spaces, of which I hope to go to more, I find that I'm usually the only visible Muslim, if not the only Muslim or one of the very few Muslims. So what did I see today at the NYC GMC? All sorts of people from all sorts of communities, which is fantastic. But as far as Muslims, I only met one other Muslim, and I was perhaps the only visible Muslim. My guess is that there weren't more than a handful of Muslims present at the conference, if even that.

I find this to be really frustrating. First and foremost, the alternative media movement is extremely relevant to the Muslim community, and Muslims need to be a part of it. Media has the most influence in our society today. It is all about cause and effect. For example with Muslims, for many years and especially in the last 8 years, Muslims have been vilified, defamed, misrepresented, and stereotyped in mainstream media - in all media. Come on, we know this. Talk radio, national TV news, local TV news, newspapers, crazy right-wing websites, movies, etc etc - the list goes on, and on and on. My classic example is Glenn Beck who used to be on CNN, primetime every weeknight at 7pm, and is now on Fox. Beck is the kind of guy that convinces ignorant TV viewers that Muslims are Islamofascists - and he had a prime spot on CNN.

Then you look at the alternative media movement. The folks doing this kind of work understand the misrepresentation and stereotyping of people of colour, including Muslim folks, and their work aims to rightly represent these communities to counteract the damage done by mainstream media. The alternative media movement aims and wants to accurately represent Muslims! So why the hell aren't more Muslims engaged in this kind of work? Why is it that I saw very few Muslims today at this conference, when many of the media groups present at the conference discuss Muslim communities and Muslim issues?

This is part of a bigger issue of Muslims groups and institutions not being involved or connected with the wider progressive movement. The true progressive movement talks about Iraq, Afghanistan, Palestine, Iran, Pakistan, Sudan, Kashmir, Chechnya, and so on and so on. What about domestic issues? The prison system, Guantanamo, labour rights, immigrant rights, institutionalized poverty and racism and cleavages, all affect Muslims as well. My point is that the progressive movement is engaged with issues that directly affect Muslims. Therefore there is a crucial need for Muslims to become involved with these groups or at least to connect with them, to work together. Note, I'm only discussing spaces that have people of colour at the forefront.

I'm tired of Muslims only talking to themselves. We're such an insular and fragmented community. We need to connect to those who are already looking out for us.

In terms of looking forward, I'm going inshallah to the Allied Media Conference July 16th-19th in Detroit. I hope that Muslims turn up.

6 comments:

  1. You make a good point Hena. I guess for someone like me, it never occurred to me that media was that important. But you're right- it is. Its a big part of the Muslim image. I'm sure there are a lot of defamed ethnic/religious groups that have made it a point to make a better name for their group over the years. We as muslims, should learn from this. You're right-its our turn to set things right. As for interest- it seems like most Muslims don't care because they're hardly ever connected to this issue since they're the typical doctors, engineers, lawyers, etc. Although its a big part of our lives since we listen to the radio, watch tv, movies, and read the paper (or online articles). Thanks for the wake up friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great issue and analysis, Hena. I think there are a lot of complicated reasons as to why Muslims, especially from the subcontinent are choosing to pursue other more lucrative careers. I think we all have a lot of cultural baggage and in circumstances including career choice...it's stifling us. But there is definite value, as you discussed in pursuing new careers to affect change. We can't complain about the problems we face internally, without an external voice. We'll go no where. I hope others are willing to make the tough step to choose alternative careers like you Hena! As for the rest of us doctors, engineers and science majors...we should actively support the movement, in whatever we can.
    much love,
    Meena

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent post!
    If anyone is planning to attend the School of the Americas Watch conference, rally and vigil November 20-22, 2009 in Columbus, GA, please contact me. I believe School of the Americas Watch is an excellent progressive organization, and the event in November in Columbus is a great opportunity to learn about progressive activism.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Touche, my dear. You are exactly right in explaining why we're misrepresented in media. Unfortunately, parents like to push their kids into engineering and medicine. Obviously, if that's the person's talent, good for them (I would hope to include myself in here), but if it's not, they're doing the world and espec the Muslim-American population a great disservice. Hopefully as Muslim-American generations carry on in the U.S, parents will learn to just be supportive in whatever their child is passionate. :) Good article

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi guys,
    thanks for all the feedback. Allow me to clarify a few things however:

    I understand why someone might go into a career in law, engineering, medicine, whatever - because of stability. I don't hold anyone at fault for going into such a career because I understand why people do it.

    That said, I'm not trying to get only people who have already chosen these careers to do a u-turn, quit their job, and get involved with alternative media and the larger progressive movement. I think ALL Muslims should get involved with these things, because it doesn't matter what kind of career you do. Regardless of someone's daytime job, they can still be active and continue to engage and educate themselves and organize together with other oppressed peoples.

    The kinds of Muslims that I would especially like to see do this are those who are active in the Muslim community already. But this is what I mean when I say that Muslims are insular - we have a lot of Muslim leaders, and a lot of really great young and thoughtful Muslim leaders in the U.S. - but they only work with other Muslims. For example, they're involved with CAIR, or their local masjid, or their Muslim youth group, etc etc - but why aren't they branching out and acknowledging that people of many other communities are already standing up for Muslims, and talking to them and working with them as well? Alternative media is just one example of a movement that concerns itself with Muslims. There's also the immigrant rights movement, the broader human rights movement, anti-racism groups, etc etc.

    So that's my real criticism here. I'm not criticizing what people do for a living - of course it'd be great if more Muslims went into media, but I think in general, it'd be amazing if more women, people of colour, etc etc, went into media, not just Muslims.

    My criticism is that Muslims don't show up to groups, movements, conferences - to spaces - that do care and advocate for justice and equality for Muslims, and every oppressed/misrepresented/marginalized community.

    ReplyDelete
  6. nice one hena! keep fighting the good fight. i am right behind you.

    ReplyDelete