Sunday, May 21, 2017

Not sweet.

Yesterday a server kept calling me sweetie. This slightly irritated me. I really wanted to respond: "Actually, I'm not that sweet". I wonder what on earth made him think it'd be ok to call me that.

---
Today I was explaining to someone why I love New Order so much. Unlike other favourite bands of mine, I don't really own their albums, rather their singles collections. I grew up knowing their main hits. When "True Faith" came out I was a little kid in the U.K., and I still recall that iconic and strange music video that I watched from way back then.

Here's the thing about New Order. Imagine you're in a band, that is getting lots of press and new fans everyday, you're about to blow up, and then your lead singer who is one of your best friends...tops himself. He ends his own life. What do you do?

To my understanding - and, I haven't even read New Order's wikipedia page, so I could just be making this up - but what I think they did is, they took a hiatus. They mourned, they took a break, they regrouped, and came up with new sounds and rhythms and lyrics that took the world by surprise. Everything in New Order's music - from the instrumentation, to the vocals, to the lyrics - is wired with emotion. At least it is for me. Anytime I listen to any song of New Order's, and this has been happening the whole time I've listened to them, since middle school or high school - their music evokes emotion in me. It reminds me of something, it makes me feel SOMETHING.

No matter how many times I listen to their songs, it's the same thing each time - high emotion. I can work while listening to them, and I can also just sit and truly listen to them, and do nothing else. And that's honestly all I want to do right now, but I must go off and work.

I should read up more about them. I was told today that the band collectively wrote some of their lyrics. I wonder how they came up with this genius that I'm currently obsessed with (again):

"I was standing by the ocean when I saw your face
I couldn't look at you
I guess you knew it but I never realized
That we were through

And now I'm down here all alone
With every feeling that I own
You can't take that away

And with every breath we take
And the illusions we create
Will come to you someday

And I was touched
By the hand of God
Never knew it
But of course I was

I never hoped to do the things in this world
I wanted to
Because everything I own
It belongs to you

I never looked at you in a sexual way
In my life before
And I've never woken up like this
So desperately before

And I was touched
By the hand of God
Never knew it
But of course I was"

When I sing this song to myself, either in my head or out loud, I sometimes replace "by the hand of God" with "by that hand of yours". But seeing the actual lyrics, I see what they were doing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment