Sunday, August 21, 2005

Indian films

For you desis out there: my dad just watched on tv a music video for bunty and babli with amitabh bachan rapping. i don't think the indian film industry could get lower than that.

but there is still hope. i watched Mangel Pandey: The Rising, in Atlanta. This has Amir Khan who hasn't been on the screen for four years, and I've been a fan of this man since I was 5 years old, honestly. I remember watching Dil at that age. Anyway, needless to say, Mangal Pandey is an amazing film. Not just because it has Amir Khan in it, but it really is a well-made film. Its made by the guy who made Devdas and Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam. Definetely see this one in the cinema.

I also watched Black when I was in South Carolina. This is an Indian film about the Helen Keller story, who I had never heard of before. This film was alright, it was shot well. But, I think Indian films definetely need a spark of creativity and originality. Its all remakes or versions of Western films or based on old Indian stories. For example, Bunti & Babli is based on Bonnie and Clyde, Mangel Pandey is Mangal Pandey and Black is off of Helen Keller. They need new ideas, definetely.

No comments:

Post a Comment