Sunday, December 25, 2005

films/movies/mowies/flims/pictures/feelims

So this post is about films. Went to the cinema 4 times this past week! From Friday to Friday.

Watched Paradise Now, for the 2nd time, this time was paid, first time was a screening. Film's about 2 Palestinian suicide bombers, and their journey, sorta. Very interesting film, shot well too. Though disappointed that they didn't take the chance to show the violence of the occupation.

Then I watched Pride and Prejudice. I usually don't like these sorts of girly, romantic films. And this was my first Jane Austen experience. I liked it. AMAZING cinematography, really beautiful stuff. Though it seemed very sudden that he fancied Elizabeth and how she liked him, didn't seem gradual, but lovely shots.

Then I watched Syriana. Interwoven storylines and stuff, just like Traffic, written and directed by the writer of Traffic, innit. Very interesting film, its about the oil trade, done the same way Traffic was about the drug trade. This one had very interesting themes and characters, and didn't make Arabs/Muslims look totally bad. Basically, bad practices by institutions and stuff lead to violent actions from the people? That's the one theme I got. This film definetely needs to be seen again.
And I thought, Stephen Gaghan, he's so lucky, so young. He wrote Traffic, and he wrote and directed this film Syriana, with George Clooney and produced by Section 8 or something. Man, he's got it made.

Anyway, a film that does not need to be seen again is King Kong. BUT, I enjoyed it though. Three hours long, too long, but the film is just MASSIVE. Just HUGE! It's all spectacle, the whole thing. All I knew is that they go this island and there's King Kong and somehow he ends up in NY, so it was new to me, the story. I know they changed the way girl acts toward the gorilla, that she kinda seduces him, whereas in the original she was just scared shitless or something. But, very entertaining, squirmy, scary, and in some parts, touching. Peter Jackson.

Re-reading White Teeth right now. Zadie Smith is a genius. I'd love to meet her in person, to see what she's like. Definetely give it a read.

No comments:

Post a Comment